- 700g chicken - chopped into pieces
- 1 large onion - sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs ginger - grated
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cup (or more) water
- 2 medium potatoes - cut into chunks
- 2 tbs oyster sauce
- 1 tbs (or more) light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp white pepper
- Mix together chicken pieces and seasonings, leave to marinade for about 30 mins.
- Heat up a bit of oil in a pot.
- Add onions, fry until soft and translucent.
- Add ginger and garlic, fry until fragrant.
- Mix in star anise cinnamon, cloves, fry until fragrant.
- Add chicken pieces, fry until chicken is slightly browned.
- Mix in potatoes and just enough water to cover all ingredients.
- Let it simmer until gravy is thickened (about 30-45 mins).
- Thicken with corn starch slurry (corn starch + water) if the gravy is too runny.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with rice.